Sunday 10 July 2016

Dyspraxia Foundation Adult Advisor – I’m very proud of my new role.







The Purpose of this blog is to promote The Dyspraxia Foundation E book' "Dyspraxic Adults Surviving in a NonDyspraxic World" self help book for dyspraxic adults. All proceeds go to the Dyspraxia Foundation Adult support groups. Available on Amazon for £9.99

Yesterday I attended the Dyspraxia Foundation AGM and Conference- ‘Back to Basics’. I woke up at 4am but didn’t have to get up until 5am to catch the 6:55 Virgin Train to London Euston. Once I’m awake I’m awake, so I got up.

I had prepared my bag for the night before and had everything ready. I had time to wash my hair and put my make up on without rushing I even had my breakfast prepared, it was the famous Slimming Word overnight, oats, fruit and 0% fat yoghurt ready in the fridge an airtight bowl. For snacking I brought more fruit and hard boiled eggs and had remembered to bring them and not leave them sitting in the fridge. Rushing makes me more stressed and therefore more Dyspraxic. I arrived at Piccadilly Station in good time to catch my train. 

I sat on the train congratulating myself for being so organised. However, when the Virgin Train ticket inspector looked at my tickets, I had brought every bit of what looked like a ticket except the actual ticket, so I had to buy another one. I thought I was being fair to the DF by booking a  Saturday Day Saver and was saving them a few quid. Hopefully I will be able to get my unused ticket refunded (if I find it in my drawer).



The Day Saver included an underground day pass to get to the Norton Rose Conference Centre. This avoids the stress of having to queue up and the rush hour and fumble about, remembering which zone the ticket is in, while impatient people tut behind me, making me feel more flustered.

I joined the queue from hell to get my underground ticket. I had been to the Norton Rose Conference centre for 2 previous DF Conferences so I was convinced that I knew the way so I didn’t print out directions for the underground. My Mind went blanc, I vaguely remembered that it was direct on the Northern line but got a bit disorientated as my eyesight has deteriorated since last year. I was just about to look up the route, when Peter Keegen the former Adult Advisor tapped me on the shoulder and rescued a somewhat Dyspraxic, disorientated, damsel in distress. I told him I thought it was direct on the Northern Line but he was adamant that it wasn’t. So After 3 changes on the Underground a very stressed and flustered looking Peter arrived with me at the DF Conference. 

When we walked into the conference, I met Monique Craine an Autistic/ Neurodivergent speaker at the conference in the flesh for the first time rather than talking on the phone or Facebook. There was just enough time to say “Hello” to everyone at the DF, go to the loo and get a brew before the conference started.

 
Selfie of Janet Taylor


 Peter Keegan stood down as Adult rep and I took over the role as Adult Advisor/ Representative.  I am very proud to take on this role and somewhat apprehensive that so many people have such faith in me and very high expectations of what I can achieve. The DF has limited resources but I will do my best.  (Self-doubt is characteristic of being Jewish and Dyspraxic so I get a double whammy LOL). I will be facilitating an Adult Advisory Panel and representing dyspraxic adults at Trustee meetings (Away day in August, my first meeting in September).

At lunch time I only just managed to grab a plate of sandwiches which I didn’t count the syns as I’m below my target weight but they would have been quite high. If I hadn’t been called into a trustees meeting to be introduced to everyone. I would have had second helpings so it’s just as well.

I was given lots of information about my responsibilities. To be honest I did feel overloaded and it felt a lot like a first day in a new job. Eleanor Howes the Chief Executive of the DF and Michelle Lee the Chairperson of the DF had picked up on this so in August I have been invited to meet up with them in London to have my responsibilities explained more fully to me. I can also discuss my support needs in my role. Then I can explain to you all what my role is and some of the ideas I am going to bring to the DF Trustees, in September. By 3pm I was feeling very tired and overwhelmed by it all so and had wished I had used Monique’s relaxation download on the way to the conference. I heard the magic word “cake” so I went to investigate.

The conference went really well and I met up with some lovely Dyspraxic Adults in a pub afterwards, By this time I was exhausted. I unintentionally sounded really  abrupt, untactful and unapproachable. When I gave out my Manchester Adult Support group business card and said. “Oh I didn’t realise my mobile phone number was on there I didn’t want people to have it so that they phone me at work”. Luckily I was with a group of dyspraxics so hopefully they will understand I wasn’t deliberately being stand-offish.

My Journey home was quite smooth and I went to Euston on a direct line and I managed to block out about 3 different families with very loud toddlers and babies by listening to music on my Kindle Fire. My new noise cancelling headphones were very effective and ensured that my journey to Manchester was very relaxing. I arrived home at about 10pm. I was exhausted so for future London visits for my new role. I will be asking my Cousin Jonathan in Golders Green to put me up for the night instead of doing it all in one day. Luckily I have a day to myself now to recharge my batteries.




No comments:

Post a Comment